Spitsbergen Highlights: Expedition in Brief on Ocean Adventurer
On this extraordinary journey, you will pack all the excitement of an epic Arctic cruise into just seven days, cruising through pack ice along the west coast of Spitsbergen, retracing the steps of explorers from centuries past. Though this rocky island is covered in mountains and glaciers, the towering cliffs and fjords play host to a thriving and diverse ecosystem. Exploring as much of the area as possible, you will enjoy maximum opportunities to spot, among other wildlife, the walrus with its long tusks and distinctive whiskers, the resilient and Arctic birds in all their varied majesty, and that most iconic of Arctic creatures, the polar bear. As one of our most popular Arctic voyages, Spitsbergen Highlights: Expedition in Brief is now available on two ships, each providing a distinct polar experience. Ultramarine, our new, game-changing polar vessel, can take you to remote destinations no other ships can reach. Aboard Ultramarine, explore Spitsbergen in brand new ways—taking advantage of the 20 quick-launching Zodiacs and more outdoor wildlife viewing spaces than other expedition ship its size—to create the Arctic experience perfect for you. Ocean Adventurer, a passenger and staff favorite, is much loved for its intimate onboard ambiance that enables guests to connect with other travelers and members of the expedition team.
- View iconic arctic wildlife, such as polar bears, walrus and reindeer
- Enjoy all the adventure of an arctic expedition in a week
- Cruise in a Zodiac to explore glaciers, fjords, icebergs and more
- Hike the colorful tundra
- Immerse yourself in the icy realm of the Arctic with optional kayaking adventures
Ocean Adventurer has long been a fleet favorite among guests and crew who've appreciated the charm and intimacy of this 128-passenger vessel, its ample outdoor deck space, numerous cozy spots to socialize onboard - and the outdoor jacuzzi. A few years ago, Ocean Adventurer underwent a multimillion-dollar renovation involving a talented team of marine architects, engineers, interior designers and polar expedition specialists. Quark Expeditions is proud of the enhancements to the much-loved polar vessel - which subsequently won the Travel Weekly Magellan Award for Overall Small Cruise Ship (500 passengers or under).
The refurbishments now enjoyed by guests:
- A refreshed, contemporary new look and feel throughout the ship
- The addition of six new twin cabins and three new suites
- All existing cabins furnished with new soft furnishings and brand new bathrooms
- Remodelling of common areas such as the Lounge and Dining Room
- Major technical enhancements, such as two new Rolls Royce engines, which increase fuel efficiency and minimize carbon footprint.